The House of ShadowLore
Fallcrest is divided into two districts by a steep bluff that cuts across the town. The area north of the bluff is known locally as Hightown. This district survived the city’s fall in relatively good shape, and it was the first area resettled. To the south of the bluff lies Lowtown, which tends to be newer and poorer. In the event of a serious threat, people retreat up to Hightown – the bluff and the town walls completely ring this part of Fallcrest, making it highly defensible.
Hightown Key Locations
1. Tower of Waiting – An old fort built on a small island in the Nentir River to guard the city from any waterborne attacks from the north. Fell into ruin years ago and is now little more than an empty shell overrun by mice and birds.
2. Upper Quays – Boats proceeding down the Nentir River must stop here and offload their cargo, which is then portaged through the town to boats waiting on the Lower Quays.(29)
3. Five-arch Bridge – A fine stone bridge built by the Dwarves of Hammerfast over 200 years ago, it was destroyed when Fellcrest fell and was only recently rebuilt by the townsfolk. A small toll house guards the western side (toll 1cp per head, 1 sp per mount).
4. Nentir Inn – A fine new building constructed of fieldstone and timber.
5. Knight’s Gate – The gate consists of strong outer doors of iron-reinforced timber and an inner portcullis between a pair of small stone towers. The portcullis is normally lowered at sunset and the gates are only closed in times of danger.
7. Halfmoon Trading House – The Halfmoon family owns small trading posts throughout the Nentir Vale. This is the largest of those establishments.
9. The Tombwood – A large ticket on the southern slopes of Moonstone Hill. The old castle cemetery lies inside.
10. House of the Sun – Temple to Pelor. Also includes shrines to Bahamut and Kord.
11. House Azaer – A small well-off trading house.
12. Nentir Falls – Here the Nentir River descends roughly 200 feet in three striking shelf-like drops. On the small island in the middle of the falls stands the statue of an ancient human hero named Vendar.
13. Temple of Erathis – Large, impressive stone temple with a large rotunda dome. Largest and most influential temple in town. Also includes shrines to Ioun and Moradin.
14. The Bluffs – Great cliff that divides Fallcrest in half. The bluffs average 150 to 250 feet in height.
16. Moonsong Temple – Devoted to Sehanine with shrines to Crellon, Melora and Avandra.
17. Fallcrest Stables – Several riding horses, draft horses and mules can be found here.
19. Naerumar’s Imports – Considered the finest of Fallcrest’s establishments, it deals in gems, jewelry, art and magic trinkets.